Position: PT Upholstery Assistant / Upholstery Associate
NEW JOB OPENING with THE GOOD MOD in DOWNTOWN PORTLAND
The Good Mod is looking for a part-time Upholstery Assistant or Upholstery Associate to join our team, working alongside the other upholsterer. Dependent on skill and experience there is room for the position to become full-time for the right candidate.
The Upholstery department at The Good Mod handles vintage upholstery and restoration projects as well as new upholstery design applications for TGM’s custom build projects.
- Availability for 20hrs/week Monday through Friday between 9am and 6pm
- Confidence using hand tools, pneumatic staple guns, and basic power tools (drill, driver)
- Skilled in standard upholstery sewing techniques, such as zipper install, box cushions, welt cord, hand sewing
- Exceptional eye and feel for detail and line
- Exactitude in measuring and cutting foam, fabric and leather. Proficiency in replicating and creating detailed patterns.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, capacity to physically lift and move heavy furniture pieces up to 50 lb
- Willingness to regularly take on physically demanding and time consuming processes such as stripping large furniture items of fabric, staples, nails, screws, glue, webbing, etc., as well as light wood working, cutting foam and working with heavy-duty glues
- Careful but fearless attitude regarding new projects: ability to independently research, learn, and confidently approach new processes and materials
- 2+ years experience using and maintaining industrial sewing machine and serger
- Experience developing upholstery patterns from scratch
- Experience with mold-making and working with moldable foams, silicones, and gels
- Leatherworking experience with thin and thick leathers, including hand sewing, leather forming, rivets, grommets, and shoe making
The ideal candidate has excellent time management skills, a great work ethic and positive team-oriented attitude. Compensation is commensurate to experience. Willing to provide some training for the right candidate.
Please submit your resume and portfolio examples to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Upholstery Assistant."